Can Someone Be a “High-Functioning Addict”?
What is Addictive Behavior? Signs of Substance Use Disorder
- Using more substances or using substances for longer than intended
- Trying and failing to cut back or quit using substances
- Spending lots of time thinking about, acquiring, or using substances
- Experiencing cravings or intense desires or urges to use substances
- Failing to meet responsibilities at work, school, or home
- Continuing to use substances despite interpersonal or social repercussions
- Giving up on hobbies or activities because of substance use
- Ending up in dangerous situations because of substance use
- Continuing to use substances despite knowing they were causing problems
- Developing tolerance and needing to take more substances to achieve the desired effect
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when attempting to cut back or quit
Seeking Help for Substance Abuse
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2022). National Survey on Drug Use and Health 2021.