Non-Medical vs. Medical Detox
Not all detox programs are the same. In fact, there are medical and non-medical ways to go through it. What’s the difference, and which is right for you?
Non-medical detox is exactly that; you detox with no medications to ease your withdrawal symptoms. A treatment center may feel you’re a suitable candidate for this if your dependency isn’t severe.
Some people refer to at-home detox as non-medical. While it certainly can be, it’s not a recommended course of action. Depending on the severity of addiction, trying to go through detox without medical supervision can be dangerous.
In fact, medical detox might not involve medicine. It depends on your needs, as well as the detox facility.
A treatment center may use the term simply to describe an inpatient detox environment. You’ll live in the facility or detox in an outpatient setting. The environment may be more hospital-like, or it could be more home-like. Your body will detox without assistance from medication, although you’re in a clinical setting. Moreover, medical professionals will constantly monitor you to ensure your safety.
Other facilities may administer medication during detox. This is often to ease your withdrawal symptoms. Some of these medicines are substitute drugs that gradually wean a person off harder substances.
However, IV therapy is sometimes used for severe addiction. Clients receive vital nutrients and fluids while avoiding withdrawal symptoms.
Medical Detox Benefits
- Supervision: Professionals will constantly monitor you.
- Adjustments: If the facility staff feels your medication needs to be adjusted, they can quickly do so. Sometimes, they can customize your treatment by the minute.
- Safety: For anyone with long-term dependency, withdrawal symptoms could be life-threatening. Having supervision while detoxing keeps you safe.
- Less painful: Some centers administer medications that ease withdrawal symptoms, lessening the painful side effects.
- Increases your chances of recovery: Staying in a facility for detox, and getting completely clean, sets a good foundation for the rest of your recovery.
Getting a Fresh Start
Silver Pines Treatment Center is an addiction treatment center that offers on-site detox and rehab, all in one place. In addition, our medically assisted detox program ensures you receive careful monitoring. You’ll be able to detox comfortably in our relaxing facility.
We want you to feel at home during your stay. You’ll enjoy healthy, delicious meals and take part in work therapy and outdoor activities. These are part of our holistic approach to rehab, where we focus on healing your body, mind, and spirit.
We’re in a secluded, wooded setting in northeastern Pennsylvania. Moreover, if you or a loved one has been searching for a rehab center in Philadelphia, we’re only a couple of hours away.