Defining Addiction Cravings
How Long Do These Cravings Last?
Identifying Potential Craving Triggers
While cravings often involve a biochemical component, various environmental factors can trigger a craving when you least expect it. Knowing and understanding these triggers can help you better understand and manage these cravings as they occur. Some of the most common craving triggers include:
- Going to a neighborhood where you used to buy or use drugs or alcohol
- Seeing others selling these substances
- Going and spending time in a bar
- Frequently associating with people that drink or use drugs
- Psychological stressors
- Smelling the substance
- Work or relationship problems
- Chronic pain
- Untreated co-occurring psychological disorders
- Encountering paraphernalia related to past us
Knowing how to identify these triggers and either avoiding them or seeking professional help can help you better manage these cravings and help you stay on your recovery journey.