Experience Gift Ideas
Instead of gifting someone a physical item, you may want to gift them an experience that can lead to a great memory.
- Go see a show! Concert, sporting event, or theater tickets are a great gift. Make a day of the gift and join your loved one for the event.
- Book an adventure! This could be a longer vacation or a short day activity. Some people love hiking or exploring new places. Others may like being more daring with something like zip-lining, shark cage swimming, or sky diving!
- Take a creative class together! Create a memory by learning a new skill, like cooking or pottery.
- Healthy living is a big part of the journey to sobriety. You could gift someone a Gym Membership or Fitness Classes. You could even attach the gift card to a water bottle or yoga mat.
- Some of the best gifts are the ones that remind someone to treat themselves to some self-care! A relaxing trip or a spa day could do just that. Try giving a spa gift certificate in a basket of calming things like essential oils, slippers, or a robe.
Meaningful Gift Ideas
- A handwritten letter or card is a simple and inexpensive place to start. What better way to show someone how you feel than by putting it into words? A simple “Congratulations, I am so proud of you!” can go a long way in showing someone how much you support them and their commitment to a new lifestyle.
- A journal is a great gift for someone celebrating their journey with sobriety, as it provides a great place to be reflective. You can get a nice journal with lines for writing, or a journal with blank pages for art. Make it extra special with the first entry of encouragement written by you!
- A Personalized piece of jewelry, watch, or keychain can be a beautiful gift with an even more beautiful meaning. You can order a gift and have it engraved with important, inspirational quotes or milestone dates. A watch could be engraved with their anniversary sobriety date or a phrase like “One day at a time.” The phrase “Sober and Strong” is also simple and uplifting!
- Art or Photographs can brighten a space and have the potential to be deep and meaningful. Either make something yourself or purchase a work of art that you know they will love! You could even find a painting of a favorite place or memory. There are other creative ways to commemorate important dates, too! For example, “Star maps” are gorgeous prints of the night sky on a date of your choosing, and have grown very popular.
- A Display Box or Chip holder is a unique, practical, and meaningful gift for a person that may be in a program that commemorates sobriety with chips. This gift will give them a safe place to proudly store these milestone keepsakes.
- Something handmade, like a gratitude jar or a fresh-baked goodie, will bring a smile to anyone’s face.
- A donation in their honor could be a unique and meaningful gesture. Research local charities or non-profits that your loved one cares about.
- If you are not in person, you may want to send something fun! Consider a subscription box. There are subscription boxes for all kinds of interests these days, from movies to makeup and everything in between! Subscription boxes are mailed out automatically and give you the opportunity to keep on giving.