What Is Addiction?
Signs of Substance Abuse
- Loss of self-control
- Inability to stop using once starting
- Decreased performance in work or school
- Issues with money
Addiction: The Stages
- Using for the First Time. You’ve probably heard people say something along the lines of “it all starts with the first sip” when referring to alcoholism. Well, this can be somewhat true when it comes to addictive drugs.
- Using Regularly. This is the stage when use becomes “recreational” or someone uses more often to cope with a physical or mental issue.
- Feeling Risky. Here’s the part when a person uses drugs in situations that may have an impact on their social or professional lives.
- Dependence. When someone builds a physical tolerance to a drug but doesn’t believe they have a problem, they may be lying in this stage.
- Abuse. Use becomes abuse when an individual keeps taking the drug despite negative consequences. When people reach this stage, it’s the hardest for them to quit.